Monday, May 15, 2006

Free Expression

There is an old Spanish saying ,"Lunes es los hoyos, hombre " meaning "Monday is the pits, man" That's the artist Suvo sitting in the market with his artworks. The City has already cited him for not obtaining a permit. "I have decided that the illegal demand for a 1000.00 dollar a year permit to sell and display my art should discontinue". After a $100 fine last Friday issued by the St. Augustine Police, he was banned from the Plaza for a year. (Life is just high school all over again isn't it?) After missing one of the best high traffic weekends (Mother's Day) he attempted a meeting with City Officials but was shuffled around. After informing the clerk to pass on to the City Attorney a copy of the Federal Law he informed them that he will continue to set up and display. "The police had already told me that they would confiscate my art and send me to jail if I did so. That did it, I usually buy supplies and replenish my inventory from weekend sales (80% of his income) But I was put out Friday afternoon and missed Saturday and Sunday altogether. I set up waiting for the cops on Monday waiting for the arrest . Four cop cars passed me but did not stop." Do you see how lonely Suvo looks in the above picture.? St. Augustine is pretty quiet on Mondays."Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. " William Pitt. Now read Rudolph Guiliani's quote on Freedom (he was unsuccessful at limiting artist's 1st amendment rights) "Freedom," Giuliani argued, "is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do and how you do it." " Click here to read the REAL LAW

No comments:

Post a Comment